Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Sewing For Boys Sew Along

Photobucket

I was hoping to have time to join the Sewing For Boys Sew Along, apparently I had forgotten just how fast you can make the Raw Edge Raglan!  
I  was able to whip this one up while Travis was busy watching a few episodes of Avatar: the Last Airbender with Maura, James and Liam.


 I embellished this one with faux layered sleeves (is that what you call it when it looks like two layers of shirts?), then I used this rocket ship applique made from scraps of knit fabrics.  You can find a free template for the rocket ship here, thanks to Ashley of Lil Blue Boo.



I used Heat N Bond Lite for the appliques.  I just drew the shapes on the paper side, ironed it to the t-shirt scraps.  Then cut on the lines, assembled the design on the front of the shirt, then ironed.  Last I used a basic straight machine stitch around all the edges.  This is my favorite method of doing appliques.  They seem to launder very well, which is important!

This is a really versatile pattern with endless possibilities.  
I love the casual raw edge finish too.
This shirt pattern is found in the book Sewing For Boys, along with a ton of other great patterns and ideas.
Here are a few of my earlier versions of this pattern:

and
my St. Patty's Day version is Here

Today was a two-hour delay for schools because of icy roads and I was woken up by Travis waving the rocket ship shirt in my face telling me to put it on him.  I guess it's a winner!

4 comments:

  1. Love the shirt! Just started following along from the pink chalk fabric post. You have great taste!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Travis is still as cute as can be. What size is he wearing? I'm working on cargo pants. Wondering if you'd like to test the tutorial. Finally - something for boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! Travis is in a size 4 right now. We'd love to test your cargo pants pattern. Last summer I sewed the cargo shorts and they were great!

      Delete
  3. Oh my Goodness, this child is adorable!

    ReplyDelete