Monday, March 14, 2011

leprechaun outfit with reverse applique tutorial

Just had to make our mischevious little resident leprechaun a new outfit for St. Patrick's day.
The shirt is another Tee for Two, a pattern that I've gotten quite a bit of use out of lately!  My other versions are here.  I love making basic knit t-shirts, so easy and fast! Then I can embellish them too. For this shirt I made shamrock reverse appliques and then used my Silhouette (iron on heat transfer) to make the words. Bonus: these fabrics were both from the old shirt pile.

I added the reverse appliques like this:


trace the design onto the knit (t-shirt) fabric




pin contrasting knit fabric scrap to the underside of your design.  Be sure it covers the whole traced design with room to spare.







Sew on your drawn shape on the right side of the shirt.




Now trim about 1/8" on the inside of your stitching.  This is the fun part!



A super simple way to embellish a shirt!  This also washes very well since t-shirt fabric will roll slightly on the edges in the wash but won't fray.

I've also used reverse applique to highlight a design on the shirt:

And last but not least, I made these pants following Dana's flat front kid pants tutorial .
I added some pockets on the front and back.  He actually LIKES these pants. 






Instant Leprechaun!


**Update:  I'm so excited and honored that Shelly and Karen of Pattern's by Figgy's posted my mini-tutorial on their website, and they added a downloadable shamrock template so you can make your own!

Linking up here:



1 comment: